Thursday 3 April 2014

A to Z ~ Carrie

***Public Service Announcement: my internet sucks tonight!!! I was trying to visit a large number of blogs and just had to give up. I'll get to those visits tomorrow. Thanks. :)***



This year my A to Z theme harks back to 2012's theme, in which I listed an A-to-Z of books from my GoodReads "TBR" shelf. This year I want to revisit that list and report on which ones I've read, and what rating I gave them. Where the book hasn't been read, I'll mention other books starting with that letter I have read since 2012. ;)

"C" ... CARRIE
Status: Read

Brief Review: Beware spoilers. Loved it, though of course it was depressing. In a way I could see it in a similar light to the last book I had read (Irvine Welsh's BEDROOM SECRETS...) because of how it ends in basic total destruction of everything, and also how even while I was reading scenes that made me gasp in despair "Noooo, don't dooo iiiit!" I could still see the chaotic horrific humour/beauty in the whole thing. Carrie's mum was a psycho, and I was happy with her fate. What a waste of a life hers was! And of course Carrie's life was a waste too, but we can blame her crazy mother for that. >> Full review



Some of my fave "C" books read:

Candidate, the: A Luxembourg Thriller - Daniel Pembrey. 4 stars.
Catcher in the Rye, the - J.D. Salinger. 4 stars.
Catrina in Space - Michael S. Atkinson. 5 stars.
Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3) - Katie McGarry. 4 stars.
Crimson Portrait, the - Jody Shields. 4 stars.

13 comments:

  1. Love both this book and the original movie - haven't seen the remakes. But the whole prom scene is definitely one I'll never forget.

    My internet is acting up too, just in time for the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie really brought home the idea of mean girls before the movie of that name was made. This movie may be old but the problem of high school harassment is alive and well even now.

    Sissy Spacek was great in the movie that I saw, not sure if that was the original. After seeing it, I didn't want to read the detail in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first movie was good. The second, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read Carrie, but I want to see the movie remake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Carrie or Christine (I tried to read Christine but just don't love cars enough to get into it).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't read Stephen King as he is too too good at his genre! I think he's a fabulous writer though and have his book on writing always at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Stephen King. The man seriously rocks. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was all set to go to the expanded review until I saw the book cover. Too scary for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read Carrie. I read where Stephen King thought Carrie was one of his weakest books, but the first to sell.

    The only one I've read is Catcher in the Rye. Not one of my favorite books. Well written, but Holden came across as whiny and I don't care for whiny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read The Catcher in The Rye for my American Lit class. Holden Caulfield is such a refreshing character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saw the original movie. Embarrassed to say still haven't read the book. Some King fan I am.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judging by your great taste in novels, I have one to recommend that blew my socks. The Space Between by Alexandra Sokoloff. Excellent. I read it in 2 days. Could have read it faster but I was supposed to be working on edits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved all of Stephen King's earlier books. I liked Carrie a lot, but it didn't scare me as much as Cujo did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!