Saturday 19 April 2014

A to Z ~ Phantom Waltz




This year my A to Z theme harks back to 2012's theme, in which I listed an A-to-Z of books from my GoodReads "TBR" shelf. This year I want to revisit that list and report on which ones I've read, and what rating I gave them. Where the book hasn't been read, I'll mention other books starting with that letter I have read since 2012. ;)

"P" ... PHANTOM WALTZ
Status: Read

Brief Review: This read was just "ok" to me. For most of the book, the couple was together and totally happy (bad reason to feel "meh" about a book? :P). They did have a hurdle to overcome right at the end, but to me their love wasn't one of those "hard won loves" I like to read about. Sometimes it seemed the book was going to be one long saga in which the heroine (Bethany) gets into trouble and the hero has to dash in and save the day. While Bethany had good reason to be more helpless than most (paraplegic), I still got a bit tired of her always getting into trouble & having to be rescued. The love story also unfolded really quickly which added to the lack of realism. I know that attraction/infatuation can happen quickly, but to almost instantly get to a state of "Oh, Ryan, I love you so much!" and "Darlin', I will love you forever and ever and ever!!!" was too much. I definitely got sick of Bethany saying, "Oh, Ryan!" I did like the bull, T-Bone, and the kitty who made his back her home. But when Ryan said he hated cats, he really got my back up. I can't ever respect a man who hates cats. ;) >> Full review


Some of my favourite "P" books read:

Please Ignore Vera Dietz - A.S. King. 5 stars.
Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) - Katie McGarry. 3 stars.

Some other "P" books on my TBR:

Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky.
Polar Night - Julie Flanders.
Pop Travel - Tara Tyler.

9 comments:

  1. Then I like cats! I do.
    I bet Julie's book will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. Well there's no need to be a cat person, but hating them is going too far. I mean, I'm not a dog person AT ALL, but I don't hate dogs.

      and yes, I can't wait to read Julie's book. :D

      Delete
  2. She's one I've been wanting to try but hrm yeah he would totally lose hero points for hating on kitties. Maybe another will have to be my try her out book. *nods*

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Polar Night is a GREAT story... wonderful plot!
    I'd like to get my hands on Pop Travel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the review. The book sounds very different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Perks of being a wallflower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trisha - Yes to Polar Night and Pop Travel - both waiting for me to read .. and that is my summer of content - reading for once! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. And have you read The Prestige? (The novel the movie was based on?) Really, really good. I also enjoyed Perks of Being a Wallflower (book and film).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these, but Pillars of the Earth has been on my TBR list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!