Thursday 17 April 2014

A to Z ~ Oscar and Lucinda




This year my A to Z theme harks back to 2012's theme, in which I listed an A-to-Z of books from my GoodReads "TBR" shelf. This year I want to revisit that list and report on which ones I've read, and what rating I gave them. Where the book hasn't been read, I'll mention other books starting with that letter I have read since 2012. ;)

"O" ... OSCAR AND LUCINDA
Status: Read

Brief Review: Took me a good while to finish this one, as it's quite long and I found I had to pay close attention to drink in every detail. The book got off to a bit of a slow start, but soon enough I found myself intrigued by the quirky characters, sympathetic to their experiences and frustrated/exhilarated on their behalf. The book had me laughing out loud even at not so happy moments, just because of the wording and the silly little similes, metaphors and alliterations (which were still clever of course). The way the story unfolded was like a family memoir but also an historical work. And an unexpected event near the end illustrated how a man can make one little decision that damages his life ... permanently. >> Full review


Some of my favourite "O" books read:

Open Minds (Mindjack, #1) - Susan Kaye Quinn. 5 stars.
Other Wind, the - Ursula K. Le Guin. 4 stars.

Some other "O" books on my TBR:

Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn, #1) - Isobelle Carmody.
Obscura Burning - Suzanne van Rooyen.
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) - Dean Koontz.

20 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to really use your brain to get through a book. Glad there was a payoff with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those books that you have to work out to get through but in the end it's totally worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel so awesome when I finish a tough book like that. It definitely makes us smarter even if it doesn't feel like it at first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what you say, to me it would be a reward just to marvel in the language. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to persist and don't give up easily on a book. Sometimes the gems are further in than 50 pages. It's the reading that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading books that make me laugh out loud, and then apologize for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly can;t recall reading a book with a title that started with O. Except Outsiders, maybe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Alex on this one. And the payoff can be quite grand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great when a book can make you laugh out loud. I'm dying to read The Other Wind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not come across this one but I like something you can get your teeth into so it sounds good. Like a bit of fine word play, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love books with quirky characters. Haven't read any of your O list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a book I might like to read, since I adore super-long books. I also love the title characters' names.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of any of these books! It's amazing that there's so much out there to read. I should probably just not go to college and read the rest of my life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard of some of these, but haven't read any of them.

    Oscar and Lucinda sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for Odd Thomas! That one's high on my list too. Any story that makes you feel that deeply is worthy. =)

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oscar and Lucinda seems like an interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this was made into a movie. But I may be completely nuts on that LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a good one. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. ODD THOMAS is one of my all time favorite books. The sequels were hit and miss, but the first one - - - LOVE LOVE LOVE. :) The other books on your list, I've not read. ... I need more hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the sweet review and magnificent O-ers. Cheerz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!