Monday 21 April 2014

A to Z ~ Ring




This year my A to Z theme harks back to 2012's theme, in which I listed an A-to-Z of books from my GoodReads "TBR" shelf. This year I want to revisit that list and report on which ones I've read, and what rating I gave them. Where the book hasn't been read, I'll mention other books starting with that letter I have read since 2012. ;)

"R" ... RING
Status: Read

Brief Review: I had already seen the Hollywood movie when I started reading this book. The movie gave me the super heebie jeebies, in a good way - it was just the right kind of creepy! I haven't seen the Japanese film, but would love to someday. As for the book, it was an easily digestible read, and definitely "creepy". Suzuki's descriptions at times had me feeling almost what the characters were feeling (thankfully not quite what they were feeling, at least the ones who died!), and I certainly was affected by the creep factor in Sadako's demise. I just found the movie much scarier than any scene in the book. But it was still a great read. Suzuki's a bit of a genius for coming up with a plot like this. What an imagination! >> Full review


Some of my favourite "R" books read:

Reasons I Fell for the Funny Fat Friend - Cassie Mae. 4 stars.
Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3) - Julie E. Czerneda. 5 stars.
Retribution - Jilliane Hoffman. 4 stars.
Riversong (River Valley, #1) - Tess Thompson. 4 stars.

18 comments:

  1. The Japanese movie scared me so badly! It made the US version seem tame!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read the book.
    And I felt just the opposite of Randi Lee - thought the American version was powerful and the Japanese one a little silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Cassie's book! Have yet to read Ring, or see the movie it's based on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know the movie was based on a book. Yes, I feel like a total idiot now LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Ring by Danielle Steel is a good book. I second the "YAY!" for Cassie's book being on your list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am too much of a wuss to watch the movie or read Ring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was going thru your letters and was so excited to see Pop Travel! thank you so much! (and I get to see Julie at a book festival in a couple of weeks =)
    you're doing awesome with the challenge!
    woot!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can also recommend The Raising by Laura Kasischke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen the movie or read the book. Might have to check it out when I am in the mood to have the beJesus scared out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't read any of these books, but Retribution has been on my list awhile. :-)
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to read the book! I love scary movies, but I haven't read many scary books. Of course then I can't turn off the lights and then walk to my bed without running, but it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Japanese books and films, so I'd probably enjoy Ring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have seen the US version of the film, but I didn't realize it was based on a book. Hmm. I love creepy, scary books (and movies).

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these books are new to me. My reading list grows longer and longer....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not familiar with these books. I like creepy, so Ring sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like my kind of read-- must look it up. Skipping the movie though. Thanks for talking about this, Trisha, it's going straight to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any books from R.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Ring scared me silly and I love horror. Nice to meet and connect through atozchallenge. http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!