Friday 3 May 2019

Point Book re-reads - 2019

This year I am continuing with my goal of re-reading titles in my vast collection of pre-teen Point books that were super popular when I was in primary school. The purpose of re-reading these books is:

  1. To love how extremely late-80s/early-90s the books are now, in hindsight
  2. To laugh at the ridiculousness at some of the plots/descriptions/etc
  3. To bask in nostalgia
  4. To remember what the heck those books were actually about.
So far this year, I've re-read these two:

My Secret Admirer (Carol Ellis)

General thoughts:
I actually didn't remember much about this one, except I had a vague recollection of the cliff area (the Rimrocks). This book wasn't too bad, but wasn't one of my favourites either.

Jenny had a case of insta-love with David, but then he didn't really show up much in the whole story. Still, I was oddly convinced by their love. Ha.

I liked that every guy Jenny knew was a suspect - it wasn't one of those lame stories where the stupid heroine suspects everybody except the one that she should suspect. That said, Jenny was pretty stupid, for a number of reasons which I listed in my GoodReads review.

The 'Aww' factor:
Things that made me go 'aww' tended to be things that related to the sheer 80s/90s-ness of the story.

Dean and his "computer print-out", the telephone booth being a lifeline, everyone calling around on their house phones (no mobiles, no social media), Jenny's fashion wins (white shorts and a rainbow-striped shirt; later there's a washed out denim jacket).

Oh, and the VCR!! "Let's watch a tape." The mere fact that the telephone with its "built-in answering machine" was something fancy at the time.



Mother's Helper (A. Bates)

Having just "re-read" this for the first time in ... a very, very long time ... I'm not at all convinced I ever actually read the book "back in the day" to begin with. I didn't recall one single thing about the story. So it may have been one of those Point books that my brother bought and read, but I never did.

The book was a bit underwhelming when compared with some of my favourite Point books, but it still had its moments. Of course, I guessed who the "bad guy" was about 9 pages in, but at the same time I knew I could be wrong so didn't take anything for granted. The book did a decent job of making me wonder if I was right or not ... but still I wouldn't say I was either hooked or duped by the story.

Becky at times reminded me of the heroine from My Secret Admirer, Jenny, in that she did silly things I wouldn't have done in her place. She also didn't really strike me as much of a teenager a lot of the time, but who knows what I would have thought if I'd read it as a tween.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Trisha - good to hear from you ... I guess what you're doing would be interesting to do ... but for now I'll stick with the huge TBR pile I've got. Take care and enjoy - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of them. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basking in nostalgia would be a reason to re-read books from way back when... but I'm wondering how much of the "wow factor" is lost when reading teen books from an adult perspective??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm fairly sure I take these stories less seriously now as an adult ... especially the more ridiculous stories. Ha!

      Delete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!