Thursday 19 May 2011

"Projects" update

So...since that blog entry where I mentioned I had taken everyone's advice and stepped back from SUNDOWN, I've been working slowly but surely through NAUSICAA. But I really do mean slowly. I'm only on chapter 6 or something. This, my friends, is procrastination. Still, I am editing, and that's one of the items on my Goals 2011 list. I've found myself alternately inspired and excited by the story, and bored by it. When I really think about it, I'm not bored. But I still feel like maybe there's something missing.

Part of me wondered if it was a passionate romance subplot that was missing. There is romance, but it's not particularly fiery. I like to have the addictive love spark in my works, if I can at all help it (SQUEAKY being the exception...he's a mouse! Mouse love would be weird...). One of the sexiest characters (in my opinion) in NAUSICAA is a guy who dies midway through the novel. So now I'm wondering if maybe he should come back from the dead (not as a zombie, but as one more person who survived the massacre). I can imagine him meeting up with Nausicaa later, after Kyam's downfall. I can imagine her returning to Persas with him in tow. He would have been drastically changed by his experiences - from good, obedient soldier to betrayed, disillusioned refugee. But Nausicaa would/could be his solace.

So yeah...just a thought for the time being. My main "love interest" in the novel is meant to be Jonathan. But Nausicaa needs somebody more enthralling than him (originally I really thought he'd be totally enthralling, but he didn't really turn out that way in the novel...their love is more chaste and...well, sexless...than I expected). She and Jonathan are just too...similar, or something.

In other words, I'm undecided about plot!! But I'm thinking about it.


20 comments:

  1. ...patience is key. My editor preaches the word. As he says, if you scream through it, you'll regret it. Or something like that:)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the joys of plotting. At least you are moving forward, however slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Elliot - good point! Rushing through it is pointless anyway, as I won't do a proper job of anything ;)

    @Ali - they are joys indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I do love a love story, regardless of if I'm reading or writing. Although the love story in my WIP is very chaste, too.

    Hope you figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're doing okay. Playing around with structure and outcomes is all part of the process. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep going! Sometimes it takes a LONG time to figure out what isn't working but it sounds like you are on the right track :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sari - me too ;) And chaste is okay, I mean I don't write sex scenes. but passionate is really a must!

    @mood - Thanks! :)

    @Carrie - don't I know it. I mean, SUNDOWN is in it's 4.5th draft and I'm STILL figuring out plot with that one... lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should do a brainstorming session with a crit partner. Get all your ideas out there and then work them down. I find it helps a lot. IMHO
    Keeping going, you'll get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I can empathise, I am still mulling mine over at 34,000 words. I guess I know where it's probably going but need to get on with it. Walking in the fresh air helps :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots to think about, eh? Sometimes, I just can't force the plot. I have to let my brain work it out on its own, withou me paying attention. A few days later, some inspiration will strike, then I'm off to plotting again!

    Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been there, too. When I first started revising this draft of my wip, it went so slowly and I felt guilty and horrible. But some nights I gave myself a break to do something else writing-related, and some nights I forced myself to write a single sentence. Eventually, it snowballed and now I'm working full spead ahead. (LOL at my mixed metaphors!)

    -Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm like Laura. I just have to let the plot work itself out. Forcing doesn't always work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear you are keeping up on your 2011 goals! Thanks for the reminder - I've slipped from my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with your plot--I'm going through the same thing now that I'm rewriting my novel. Should the characters do this? That? Which is more effective?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trisha, you've won a query critique from my contest last week! Please e-mail me at sandraATsandraulbrichDOTcom so I can make the arrangements with Nicole Zoltack. If she's unable to do the crit, I'll do it instead. Please let me know if you have any questions. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything at it's own pace, I think! Baby steps are fine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Ciara - very good suggestion and I have already been writing up a list of "to-do" things, which I'll be going over with my crit partners at some point. :D Maybe ahead of revision #2, which I don't plan on doing this year...

    @Madeleine - well we certainly have some fresh air today - major thunderstorm. WOO! I love this weather :D

    @LB - agreed. I often find myself rewriting some section only to go "hang on, no!" and having yet another new idea for how to do it ;) It's better to just let it happen without forcing it.

    @VB - thanks for the reminder that it doesn't all have to be done in one night. Hehehe. Sometimes it's easy to pressure ourselves too much!

    @Lydia - thanks! ;)

    @Margo - no worries, good luck with your goals! Will we see mention of them on your blog?

    @Eagle - it's sometimes pretty hard to choose, eh? I've actually considered writing out alternate scenes that I can then choose from. I've also considered having short story spin-offs for novels, so I can satisfy my every urge for plot meandering. hehe

    @Sandra - awesome, thank you! I'll get in touch :)

    @Christina - baby steps, baaaaby steps! But I really have been slack this week. I'm going to have to pick up my game. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. We all have times where writing is more of a struggle than a joy. I'm sure you'll get that spark back soon though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS I have over 1000 unread blog posts in my Google Reader!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cally, wow! LOL. that makes me feel better, even though I have 206 to read right now... :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!