Thursday 14 April 2011

A-Z blogging challenge "L" - Love songs



Today for the A-Z, letter L, I am going to talk about Love songs, which each and every one of us can have a very different take on. I have a playlist called "Love songs" at Last.fm, and at present it features the following songs:


1 Type O Negative – Pyretta Blaze
2 Billy Corgan – Mina Loy (M.O.H.)
3 Foo Fighters – February Stars
4 The Smashing Pumpkins – Stand Inside Your Love
5 Unwritten Law – How You Feel
6 Radiohead – True Love Waits (live)
7 Local H – Eddie Vedder
8 HIM – Sleepwalking Past Hope
9 Magic Dirt – Grab Your Hair
10 AC/DC – Whole Lotta Rosie (live)
11 Soundgarden – Loud Love
12 Stone Temple Pilots – Sex Type Thing
13 Red Hot Chili Peppers – Sir Psycho Sexy
14 Type O Negative – Love You to Death
15 Zwan – The Empty Sea (Live)
16 The Smashing Pumpkins – By Starlight
17 darkpop – Fool
18 Liz Phair – Gunshy
19 Heather Nova – Make You Mine
20 Zwan – Heartsong
21 Liz Phair – I Know It's Not Easy
22 Bon Jovi – In These Arms
23 Mylo – In My Arms
24 Queensrÿche – Silent Lucidity
25 Vertical Horizon – Give You Back
26 VAST – Flames



For all I know, some of these songs are not even about love, but they make me feel or think of love. Some of them are obviously about the nasty side of love. Others are about seduction, and/or just plain sex. There are still more that are about misery caused by love and loss. So, as you can see, love songs don't have to be just mushy and romantic. They can be about any aspect of love.

One year for Valentine's Day, a year when I was the only one doing anything for me, I made a big production out of the day, including making myself a romantic CD which featured some of the songs above. A lot of people may question the merit of including Type O Negative on a Valentine's Day CD. And what about Liz Phair's miserable tune about waiting for something that's just never going to happen? Well, sure, they're not precisely chirpy tunes, but they're still about love, damn it!

But now I leave it to you to tell me...

What are your favourite love (or "love") songs?

16 comments:

  1. Have you heard Anything for You by Ludo? KayKay's Corner recently introduced this to me and I love it!

    PS. This week's short story is coming awesome (finally). Though, I still don't know about word count. I haven't had a full 1k story since Week 10! 0-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brooke, no I haven't heard that yet - I need to check it out! :D Thanks for the tip!

    My story is done, but I'm not too sure about it. Anyway, it'll be the Friday feature ;)

    To be honest on the 1000+ wordcount, I wasn't really sure about that from the start. After all, shorter stories are still legitimate stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the only song that I currently have on my phone. XD

    I've actually just passed 500 and I still have two more scenes to write, so maybe I'll make it.

    See, that's how I'm justifying it to myself. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the songs I think of as love songs are more about the feelings I associate with them than the lyrics themselves. But I will definitely have to check out the ones on your playlist that I haven't heard yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Canadian, and one of my favorite Canadian bands, April Wine, had a song out years ago called "Like a Lover; Like a Song". It's still one of those songs that stirs me up. Love your blog, by the way...I'm now a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brooke - any way you can justify it is okay with me! LOL.

    @Lisa - I know what you mean. Sometimes a song can just remind you of a loving time or person :)

    @Kelly - thanks for the suggestion! Will check out that song. I don't think I've heard of April Wine before. But I do know a fair few Canadian bands that I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even think of any right now. Like you, I like the full range of love songs though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know all of these, but I like the ones I do know, and actually, I have a conversation once about Whole Lotta Rosie... a certain boy, defended it wholeheartedly as ABSOLUTELY a Love song. So there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd have to go with the VeggieTales love songs. Barbara Manatee, The Cheeseburger Song, Where Have All The Staplers Gone, The SUV Song...classic! :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have so many fav love songs, in fact I did a post on Love today too. Come check out my list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't listen to many songs, actually--I don't think I've heard any of the ones you mentioned here! Will have to look them up. :P

    Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always go back to John Cusack standing outside his girlfriend's window blasting Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes on an eighties boombox (from the movie, Say Anything)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love songs makes me think of Air Supply. I haven't heard of some of the songs on your list, I'll go check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not heard of any of these but want to check them out. I have a lot of songs I love. Nice blog. I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the suggestions, guys - haven't heard any of them :D I'm thinking I need to see that movie Say Anything, after all I do love John Cusack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's such an Eighties classic--rent it or borrow it from someone!!! He's the most adorable character EVER...*sighs for Lloyd Dobbler*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!