Wednesday 7 March 2012

First goal victory of the year!

I finished one of the year's tasks last night (or was it the night before?), that being a rough draft of last year's NaNoWriMo novel, DANNA. That tentative title comes from the name of the main female character, Danna Karlsson. That often seems to be the way I title my novels-in-progress.

Now that DANNA is done and dusted, it's time to move onto completing my second NaNo 2012 novel, VICTORIOUS. Nope, there are no actual people in that one called Victorious. Rather it's the name of the space ship in the story. Do you think space ships count as "people"?

I've also started a casual-ish rewrite of SUNDOWN, cleverly referred to as SUNDOWN II. I'm really enjoying the writing so far, and while I couldn't help myself and had to jot down some notes for a plan (this from me, a notorious pantser from way back!), I don't feel 'hemmed in' yet. Maybe it's because I've already written the damn novel once, and feel quite at home in the world.

Elsewhere, somebody (argh, I can't remember who it was...I know I left a comment on their blog post though!)  (it was Ruthie!!) mentioned that NaNoEdMo has begun, and...I'm meant to be doing it! Today I see that the NaNoEdMo site has been attacked, and is down. Boo to that! I can still report on my revision status for the year, though - I'm working on FIRE, and so far I have got the word count down from 146k to 138k. It needs to be 95k.

Now, to conclude...how are you? How are your goals coming along? Feeling inspired? Needing chocolate? I can tell you I'm having at least a glass of full strength champers this weekend.

24 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the rough draft of DANNA! A fabulous milestone!

    And yes, I always need chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting goals is so awesome, congrats!

    My goals are coming along slowly, but I am hoping to actually meet my biggest one by the end of this month. Wish me luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! *applauds wildly*.
    And of course space ships are people. Serenity was practically a person, as was the Enterprise. They call them "she" on the time, right? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was definitely thinking of Serenity when I asked that question. hehe

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I'm so impressed with how many WiPs you have :) My next goal is to start querying. NERVOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally wondered if there was someone named Victorious in that second ms! And yes. Space ships totally count as a character. :D I once did a rewrite of a book I wrote called The Treasure Quest. My brilliant in-progress title: Not The Treasure Quest. Or NTTQ. I know. I'm a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go you! Sounds very productive! I'm, slow... very slow... sat here with empty chocolate wrapper and brandy. It's already been one of those weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on finishing Danna! Seems like things are moving along nicely for you. I'm still working on my little book, hoping to finish a draft by the summer holiday (end of June). 1500 words today, a lot for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice, steady increase in the word count! Good luck Nick!

      Delete
  8. Great job! I managed to write around 3 short stories so far this year. Not much, but it's better than zero.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you know how my goals are coming along because you just read my 'meh' post! But I' hoping to pull myself out of motivation very soon (read, in the next half an hour!) and continue on with my revisions. Congrats on finishing your rough draft of Danna. That's awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Cally go!!! Hope you got on a roll!

      Delete
  10. Dash it. Just lost my really long comment!

    Good for you! I've got 3 incomplete NaNo novels and I've vowed to finish one this year, but which one?

    I wrote about submitting in my ISWers post today.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate losing comments you've put so much effort into! Frustrating!

      That is the tough question, isn't it - which project to work on first?!

      Delete
  11. Congrats on meeting your goal! That's awesome. My goals are coming along. I think it's because I'm focused more on writing and less on social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how much time can be sucked away online!

      Delete
  12. Just read your comment on my blog. If you've got short stories, submit them. If you can get a copy of Fast Fiction (Take Five) magazine, read some of the stories and see what they like. Lots of different types. Maybe you have some stories that would fit. I warn you though that they take ages to accept a story and if they reject it they don't even tell you. They just say if you haven't heard after 6 months you can resubmit it. The first one I had accepted was a 700-word story for which they paid $400. Not bad in today's market. It's the main market I aim for.


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips Denise - I'm always fearing my work isn't 'ready', but I guess there's one sure way to find out huh? :)

      Delete
  13. Oooo, congrats on the rough draft!!! SO exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go girl! You are steaming ahead. Good for you!

    I'm feeling calmer at the moment and positive which is good news.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY for finishing the Danna draft!!! always feels good to hit that last page.

    You are CRAZY editing! Worse than me, and I have three I'm meant to be working on. Good luck with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Trying to make up for lost time" editing, you mean. hehe. Last night I somehow wound up with 135k, so I was happy with that.

      Three at a time?? That's quite a to-do list! I have faith that you will get through!

      Delete
  16. It was my blog you commented on and if it helps... I still haven't started :P I've been really sick and still am >_> Hoping to be able to start soon - sounds like you are making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thank you for reminding me whose blog it was! :P I will retroactively edit my post to link to your blog. ;) Hope you feel better soon!!

      Delete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!