Sunday 15 January 2012

Sunday Session #2

Yessss, I'm back (I didn't forget!) for another Sunday Session. It is indeed Sunday, and it's 3:56 pm. That's about half an hour before I posted last week's session. But I'm going to get this post up and then head off to the beach for a good walk and then a refreshing swim (it's really hot here right now!!). Last week it was a tie between two Smashing Pumpkins songs. Well, this week it's a five-way tie!! Instead of posting all the videos at normal size, I'll put tiny little thumbnail links in for most of them, and a big one for the song I most wanted to highlight...

This week's songs are:








I had to add the Effigy video myself, since there are hardly any traces of that band around the interwebs and I really wanted to show off the song here on my blog. Effigy are a band from my hometown who never really got that far, despite releasing two albums and having a few successful singles. Their second album Century Collapsing (© 1995), which features "Rose Thorns", is for me a mixture of sheer brilliance and numerous "meh" moments. "Rose Thorns" is the absolute highlight for me, and reason enough to buy the album! They were well known for their lead singer's rather girly singing voice, and got a lot of flack for it. Personally that doesn't bother me, as the songs themselves are what I care about.

As for the other songs in this post, well I don't think they need much explanation (except "I Am One" I guess - it's the original version this time, from SP's debut album Gish). All these songs are the ones I've listened to most in the last 7 days!

11 comments:

  1. Don't Fear the Reaper is my favorite Blue Oyster Cult song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW...this is so cool. You can now reply to individuals in a 'nested' kind of way. hehe. It's probably been around for ages and I just didn't know it...knowing me. But anyway...

      I'm only a relatively recent convert to BoC but I love them lots! This song is a classic, but another of my all-time faves (so far) is "Astronomy". I also just heard "Shooting Shark" for the first time & thought it was super cool in an 80s kind of way. hehe. Of course there are others like "Burnin' For You" and "Cities On Fire..." etc. But honestly I'm just beginning with discovering their music.

      Delete
  2. Oooh complaining about the heat makes me long for it all the more. It has been so chilly here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha, you're expanding my horizons. Soak up the beach for me--I haven't been to the beach since 2006!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beach is truly lovely...the gross humid swampy heat is not so lovely. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that more people than me go through phases where they listen to a few songs a ton, and then a few different ones. Great music up there :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Metallica was the first band I saw in concert--pre-short hair for them. I almost got crushed in a mosh pit. It was one of the best times of my life, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen them :( It would have been AWESOME to see them when they still had long hair! hehe

      Delete
  7. Great song choices! And the beach?? Goodness, please send us some heat! It was -35 with the wind chill today...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh I've not heard any of these. They are all very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Effigy song is particularly good. I'd not heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!