In 2005, a friend who told me all about this little website called Last.fm. I can't even remember which friend it was, actually, but I can think of several suitably musically nerdy folks who might've been responsible. I cannot thank whoever it was enough.
What is Last.fm?
The people who run the site think of it as ... this (key words: "Last.fm is a music recommendation service").To me, it's a place where:
- almost all the music I ever listen to (in iTunes, on my iPod, on YouTube) gets recorded for public consumption, and collated into weekly, monthly, 3-monthly, 6-monthly, yearly, and overall charts
- I find a lot of free music, uploaded to the site courtesy of the artists, and therefore discover a lot of new favourites
- I find new favourites by clicking on a tag (i.e. chicks with guitars) and checking out all the associated artists
- I upload my own music so that I might further spread the word about it
- I regularly meet new music freaks who I can relate to and share my love of music with
Trisha's Last.fm stats
I spend a fair amount of my leisure time checking out my own charts (yep, I did say "nerd" didn't I?), and so I can tell you that:
- My Last.fm library currenly has 2,837 artists in it
- In the last 7 days I've listened to the Smashing Pumpkins 48 times
- The last track I "loved" was Green Carnation's "As Life Flows By"
- I belong to a group called "I Still Buy CDs", which currently has 76,192 members
- The song I've listened to most since 2005 is Veruca Salt's "Sundown"
- The last show I went to was Black Sabbath in May 2013
- Back in June 2005, I listened to Silverchair 55 times
- In June 2006, Nirvana was at #1 position with 35 listens
Oh, I could go on, but I won't. In short, this is an awesome site for a nerdy, music-obsessed librarian like me. ;)