Friday 14 June 2013

Latest reads [more mini reviews]



Since last time, I've read the following:


  • A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire, #1) - Bella Forrest
    • Although it might be said that I'm a bit over vampires nowadays (that "I'm a dead, cold corpse" thing really doesn't turn me on), I did enjoy this read, and would even go so far as to buy subsequent books in the series to find out what happens next.
  • Broken Promises (Broken, #1) - Dawn Pendleton
    • This was sort of okay - I did want to read on and find out what happened, but I really couldn't stand the main character at times. Even if I could understand why she was the way she was. She was just a bit of a drama queen who made everyone else run around after her.
  • muted: a short story in verse - Jessica Bell
    • This story blew my mind - a mixture of pure ugliness and pure beauty, sort of like that Japanese novel I read a few years back, GROTESQUE (also one of my fave reads ever). Jessica is very talented!
  • Open Minds (Mindjack, #1) - Susan Kaye Quinn
    • Love this woman's writing, though this is the only book of hers I've read so far! I hear great things about her other series as well, and have some of that ready to read on my ... wait for it ... Kindle! Yes, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite recently.


And I'm currently reading:


  • The Complete Fairy Tales - The Brothers Grimm
  • Become (Desolation, #1) - Ali Cross
  • The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells


Now, what I want to know is, is anyone surprised that I'm still reading Grimm over two years later?
. . . Or that this is my first time reading War of the Worlds?
. . . . . . Or that it took me this long to get around to reading Ali's book?

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, The War of the Worlds. Classic. And hey, there's some classic books I haven't read myself, so I'm right in your boat. Lord of the Flies, for example. Still haven't read that one yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing about readers and reading surprises me. I jump from new to classic and from mystery to horror. I buy books I have no time to read, then get more from the library. And when I get really crazy, I start reading something really long like 11/22/63 by Stephen King, a book I hate to put down. So many books, so little time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few books that I've started, stopped, and had to start again years later. :) There are just too many great books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your new Kindle! I've had my Kindle Fire since they first came out, and I love it. My reading habit has been pushed mostly aside this month due to a lot a real life going on, but I can hardly wait to dig back into the novel I'm reading by Helena Soister, The Compass Master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your Kindle. I've been reading on mine for just under a year now, and really enjoying it.
    Now I feel like a "paperback sell-out" because I've always professed to be a "die-hard paperback girl"! Ha!

    I've heard so many great things about Susan's books and this one is waiting on my Kindle, along with one or two of Jessica Bell's books.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read War of the Worlds either. Although of the books you've listed, it would be the one I'd most likely read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the first and last book.

    I'd like to check out Jessica's short story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AH! There you are! Thanks for sending me the URL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ali's book is great. I hope you're enjoying it. And Susan is awesome! I still have the rest of her Mindjack series to read, and I'm a few episodes behind in her Debt Collector series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so this is what an avid reader looks like! wow!
    and thanks for the reviews, love hearing others' thoughts on books.
    i'm reading open minds too!
    now i can add more to my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!