Monday 17 September 2018

NaNoWriMo 2018 plans (and plotting)


Wow, it's been a while since I wrote here! I thought I should check in because NaNoWriMo 2018 is coming up, and I do have a plan for what I'll be writing.

I have a new adult romance mostly planned out (temp title = FOLLOW), with a little way to go. I'm quite enjoying this whole planning thing, which I never thought I would back in the old days.

I've also been writing another novel (CLAUDIA AND DL) after planning the story out down to great detail, putting said plan into a custom beat sheet that combines a lot of different 'beat theories', and then starting to write. The writing has been flowing nicely for the most part, though I've had a few moments where I've stopped and given myself a little break, e.g. during chapters that didn't seem to flow quite as easily.

As usual I'm writing more words than expected/planned, but my bloated chapters will be honed later, during edits.

All of the above is helped by the great (albeit small) critique group I'm a part of. I think we have really helped each other in the last year or so. It's nice to be enjoying a moment of strong creativity, which is also partly inspired by my critique partners' own sense of inspiration too.

Are you planning on writing something for NaNoWriMo this year?

10 comments:

  1. Glad the planning is working for you. I should take NaNo and use it to finish what I've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha - that's great to read you're enjoying your creative spurt - long may it last. Good luck with the preparation for NaNo - no I will not be taking part! Excellent to have a supportive group too - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to put my plans down on paper. That way, when I get distracted and forget what I was working on, I can look back over it and have a better place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice you have a critique group! I have a few CPs but no group *sigh*

    No Nano for me, though I salute those who sign up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all met on Absolute Write - and created our own group on PBworks. There was only 3 of us, but recently a 4th has joined.

      Delete
  5. My daughter is the most likely member of the family to participate and I would be surprised if she does this year. Busy kid.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have mixed feelings if I want to do it this year. I have a story in mind that's been rolling around in my head for years but I'd have to be beyond a personal hurdle in my life before I commit to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can feel like an overwhelming prospect sometimes. I hope you get over that hurdle :)

      Delete
  7. NaNo has never worked for me, but I have been writing a little on the side. I'm wishing you epic success with your project. You're going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm busy with a 100words100days writing challenge. It's the second one for this year.
    It works for me.
    I want to enjoy the writing process and the 100words100days allows for consistent writing. The result? I can continue building stories but it doesn’t become a chore. Win-win situation!
    Happy Nano'ing Trisha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!