The other night I was finally ready to get started on revisions. I decided in an instant to work on DAPHNE II. First, some history about this story:
- I started it in 1999, and finally finished it in 2009 (DAPHNE)
- in 2012 I rewrote it for NaNo, and it became DAPHNE II (this involved quite a transformation but with the same main theme)
(NB: Daphne is the main character, and yes, "DAPHNE II" is a temporary title)
So anyway, the other night I opened up my "Daphne" Scrivener file, and what did I see? That horrible opening to the first chapter that totally needs to be rewritten. In fact, the entire chapter needs to be rewritten.
Right now it consists of a boyfriended-up Daphne flirting with a new bad boy in her life. Which is sooooo not the intro I intended. At the beginning of this story, Daphne is starting university as a "mature age student" (she's 20). Most of the rest of her life is going to ruin, but she's determined to get through her first year at uni - and to excel. This will be one area of her life that is in perfect working order, no matter how crap the rest gets.
In short, she's not interested in flirting with an obnoxious bad boy whose main aim in life seems to be getting as many girls' phone numbers as can fit in his phone.
There's more to him than that, of course, but that stuff comes later. And right now I feel that I have a cliff face to scale in order to rewrite this first chapter and so reposition the whole story. Just now it occurred to me that maybe I should just cut off the whole start of the novel and rewrite it later, starting revisions further in. Because it's really holding me back from getting stuck in.
Anyway ... long story short, seeing that first chapter, I instantly froze, and a moment later I shut down the Scrivener file. I just couldn't do it. So I switched to SQUEAKY, which is my revision project for the time being.
Still don't know what to revise in March for NaNoEdMo.