Friday 30 June 2017

[JUNE UPDATE] Cephalopod Book Club & Goals




The last time I participated properly in this bloghop was September 2016! Yes, I've been very slack since then, or rather I've just found it hard to keep up with everything else in life as well as the few blog hops I am still committed to. I was going to skip this one, since I thought I hadn't read any books this month, but then I realised (after checking GoodReads) that I in fact have. :)


Last time I updated, I was reading Poldark. I got to the end of the main series since then, but haven't read the "next generation" books yet. My mum has read my copies and claims they are just as good, so I will get around to it sometime. For now... I read a memoir this month!

In this memoir, Jessica Bell weaves a compelling story of a painful coming-of-age in an unusual setting. As the daughter of rock'n'rollers in the 80s and early 90s, Bell certainly had an upbringing different to most of us - and yet I could still relate to parts of what she experienced, since I was also a child of the 80s and 90s in Australia, and big time into music.

I loved the way the book progressed with its sections of Jessica talking to her reflection. It was intriguing to see her relationship with her reflection change over the course of the book as well.

Jessica has led a life of adventure seemingly largely because of her constant need to run. But this book seems to represent a time in her life when she has finally stopped running and is facing her reflection at last - and coming to realise that her reflection is her friend, supporter, etc.

As usual, this is a well-written book that compels the reader onward. It's even more special because of the bravery it took the author to put it out there for all to read and judge in whatever way they choose.

This is a snippet from the GoodReads blurb:
"Jessica Bell never meant to be a rebel. But growing up with two gothic rockers as parents seemed to make it inevitable.

In 1980s Australia, Erika Bach and Demetri Vlass founded Ape the Cry and Hard Candy, two of Melbourne’s iconic indie bands. They encouraged Jessica with unreserved love to pick up the guitar and write her own songs. But Erika’s back problem became a nightmare of pill popping, alcohol abuse, and anxiety attacks. Demetri retreated into silence for fear of triggering Erika’s drug-induced psychosis. And Jessica turned inwards, to her own reflection.

But her mirror self was a fiend, not a friend. All it took was one secret drink at fifteen, and Jessica dove headlong into depression and self-destruction to escape the madness at home.
"

Currently Reading: my own novels...for editing





I had a long period of time when nothing much was happening with my goals. I'm glad to say (as you will have seen if you have looked at any of my recent blog posts - yes, I have recent blog posts!!) that this is no longer the case. Here are some general updates:

  • I've completed my latest edit of SUNDOWN, and am now letting that novel rest.
  • I'm currently reading through my DAPHNE novel, although I had a lot of edit notes that I lost by accidentally deleting the wrong version of the novel from my Kindle. ARGH, basically. But that happened to me once with my SUNDOWN edits too. Hopefully it will happen no longer!
  • I've also had quick read throughs of some of my other novels, like ON THE OUTSIDE and LOST & FOUND. Yep, I've been on an editing / revising binge.
  • I've also kind of edited / written new material for a couple of SUNDOWN-related projects.
I'm not sure which novel I will be focusing on properly next, the way I did with SUNDOWN, but it sure feels good to be compelled to do all this editing. I had a long hiatus when I struggled to get motivation, but I've got it in spades now.

As mentioned in other posts, I am also gearing up for my next lot of study (my last semester is coming up), so I will have to concentrate more on that and less on editing until the year's end. But I feel like I've achieved a lot already this year, and that makes me very happy. Someday soon I hope I will be ready to seek out beta readers for at least one of my novels.

P.S. The area still being neglected is my music. But I fully intend to get to that very soon!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Trisha - life takes a hold and I hope you can get back to your music sometime soon - but you've lots going on. Jess' memoir looks to read so well - and I'll get to read it in the near future I hope. For some reason I'm avoiding Poldark ... loved the books and the earlier series ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you lost your edit notes.
    Jessica's music album had some of those elements as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, a usually untold aspect of the rock'n'roll lifestyle: the offspring. I'm so glad you were able to join us this month. September seems ages ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an intense but hopeful memoir.
    I have goals but I'm having trouble prioritizing them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting book choice, and way to go on your goals! Glad to hear from you again.
    Thanks for sharing.
    V:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this book being promoted on FB and various blogs. Thank you for your review it makes me want to look in to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Memoirs are not usually my thing, but it is brave of the author to speak out about her own struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine either - I don't really read much non-fiction. This one read quite like a work of fiction though.

      Delete
  8. The book sounds interesting, but rather sad.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I rarely read memoirs but I Never meant to be a Rebel sounds like a good one. Looks like you accomplished a lot in the writing department :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on focusing on editing! Sorry to hear about the Kindle delete... yikes!
    I wonder what blog hops I've forgotten about from years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice going! Sometimes editing binges are exactly what one needs to get into the swing of things. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HATE editing, and wish you luck with your goals for this month! Your studies must come first though, so be kind to yourself if you struggle to make the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you've been super busy, and that it's paying off. Hope your momentum continues!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for Jessica!

    Onward and upward. I always say it's best to look at the things we have done rather than the things we haven't. Here's to moving forward with your goals! Keep moving. (And have some cheese, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats with SUNDOWN, Trisha!

    I love editing. I find the re-writing is easier than first drafting. I get you on struggling with motivation. I'm finding it hard now.

    Best of luck for the rest of July! I'll hop in and check how your editing and other goals fare then. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!