Thursday 28 June 2012

Visiting Bali for the first time

I guess a lot of people think of Bali as this...
(Photograph © William Cho
For the first week of July, I'll be "overseas" in Bali, not far from where I actually live. Bali is a really popular tourist destination for Australians, and in particular (I think) Western Australians. People love that it's cheap, they love the beaches, they love the food. But I've never been that interested in visiting Bali. That's why I've never been before!

I wouldn't be going now, either, except that I've got a wedding to attend. My brother's best mate is getting hitched. Me and a bunch of family (mostly the family visiting from Canada) will be hanging out in a villa all our own (ours for a week at least), living the relaxing Bali life. I've been worried about the weather (I hate the heat), but apparently it should be a reasonable time of year with temperatures no higher than, say, 28°C. Here's hoping!

I'm also hoping to be pleasantly surprised in other ways - to have my expectations far surpassed (in a good way). I think the problem is, though, that I already live in paradise. I live by beautiful, clean oceans in a city that is, by most standards, well taken care of. I live in a place where, on a hot day, swimming in the ocean will actually cool you down. I live in a place where going out on the streets isn't going to make you wish you were the only person alive on the planet (I hate crowds). And I live in a place where you don't have to barter haggle if you don't bloody well want to. ;)

So, we'll see... I'm thinking positive. I am going to have a good time, even if it means staying in my room in the villa for the entire 7 days and avoiding the rest of humanity (besides family, of course). And as I did earlier this year, when posting about my expectations for Ireland, I will post something after my Bali visit and report on how I found it. To summarise, things I'm looking forward to:

  • Massages (happy endings not necessary)
  • Beautiful food
  • Not swimming in the ocean
  • Fishbowl cocktails
  • The wedding itself!


15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time. Have fun, you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. I'm sure you'll have a great time :)


    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how it turns out, you will have material to draw upon for your writing. I, like you, do not like crowds, but they afford you the opportunity to watch people interacting to make your stories and song grounded in reality.

    May you enjoy the trip far more than you expect to! Mind your surroundings and stay safe, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there ten years ago as part of my travels. It was February, so it was extremely hot (though I remember Bangkok being worse - maybe because of all the people packed tightly together?) Have a great time, and yes the food is lovely. I also climbed a mountain that I can't recall the name of right now, but it had beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it could be a fun romp. The pictures are very pretty. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Dr. Suess might've said, oh the places you go....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Hope that works out for you. I find if you go in with no expectations, you really should come out happy with anything above that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds fun! I totally wished I lived by the ocean. Mind if I move to Australia? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have an amazing trip :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Umm... I am so jealous of the travelling you're getting to do! I'm thinking positively for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been to Bali as well. I hope you have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bali is incredible. I'm sure it will exceed your expectations. It definitely did with me. Just don't go to Kuta... it's dirsty and gross... everywhere else is lovely. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds so awesome! I'll take a fishbowl cocktail too please :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never been to Bali. Fabulous! It sounds like a great place to visit. Enjoy it. I hope it all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!