Tuesday 11 July 2017

One new scene = SPANNER

Oops!

I added one new scene to my novel, and it messed with my entire timeline! I spent a couple of days writing out chapter / scene summaries, and printed the summaries out and scribbled notes all over them, etc. Eventually I worked out how to rearrange sections so the timeline made sense again. I was helped by reading an article about using metadata settings in Scrivener to create a timeline. Using that advice, I assigned dates / date ranges to chapters and shifted said dates where needed. Phew. Crisis sorted.

Another 'oops' moment came when I realised this current edit has not removed words as I hoped, but has added them. So where my first revision word count was approx. 107,902, the current count is 126,249. Yep, I've done it again. I know I have some padding that can be trimmed, and thankfully I think I'm at the point where that can be my focus now.

Speaking of padding... During my last revision of this novel, I mentioned a minor character that was a bit of a "darling" I might have to kill. She started out as a source of humour, but in truth there is a lot more to her that we're not even going to learn about in this novel. So she could even be seen as a bit of a blue herring - ya know, a herring with no purpose. ;) So really there is no point keeping her, at least not for plot purposes. I'm reluctant to let her go, but maybe I can revisit her story in some other way in another setting sometime.

Anyway, that's my update for now. I hope you are all doing well with whatever you're working on.

P.S. My addiction to Louise Rozett's Confessions series has been rekindled, sadly for no tangible reason - e.g. there is no FOURTH BOOK YET! She hopes to write one, but needs a contract. I offered to buy it off her even if nobody else does, I'm that desperate to read the rest of Rose and Jamie's story. ;) Anyway...I shall continue to wait and hope for another instalment, while moping in a very morose fashion as long as I don't get it!

12 comments:

  1. Who knew the damage one scene could do? Glad you got your timeline sorted. It's one of my worst habits to forget what day it is etc (in the book, that is), which wreaks havoc during editing.

    If there's a lot more to that character, she could probably star in her very own story. It would be a shame if she was permanently, er, retired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, she was originally meant to add yet more drama to the story by dying at some point. But there's already plenty of drama, so that would have been over'kill', pun intended ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, you did add a lot of words. Glad you sorted out the timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of words! Wonderful that you sorted out the timeline. I wonder if I should start using Scrivener and that could help me from going through all the scribbled on note paper I usually keep my dates on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many words. :( My worst habit! Oh well, at least I have something to whittle from.

      Delete
  4. Hi Trisha - well done on using Scrivener - I need to get to grips with it ... after Wimbledon! Writing novels - so much to think about ... but at least you have a spare blue herring to put in at some time?! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! I'm glad to hear you sorted it all out. I often use a calendar when I'm outlining so I can keep dates straight. You could always revisit that character in another story set within the world, even if she is cut from this particular novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you have it figured out. I realized I have a scene out of time recently and I'm trying to rewrite it so it fits, but I may have to cut something. Or, reimagine it entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so smart about using Scrivener like that! I totally know I don't use the program to it's fullest ability. On one novel I tried to use tags and cards and notes, but the more involved the novel got the less I updated and now it's probably not worth the effort to sort it out. Good job getting things done, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, sounds like you're making great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that all sounds promising -- I think it's always easier to cut words after than have to add them. Love the idea that Scrivener can help with timelines. I'm going to explore that...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!