Friday 26 February 2016

[FEB UPDATE] Cephalopod Book Club & Goals




I'm on time this time!! Woo!

~ The Cephalopod Coffeehouse Book Club : February Edition ~

This is definitely one of my fave books read in the last few years - which was a surprise, because I'm not religious, so not particularly into the romantic notion of angels, etc. However, these angels weren't romantic - they were jerks!

After reading Book #1, I wasn't entirely sure whether Raffe was a jerk or not, because what did he really think of the invasion of the angels? We didn't have much insight into his opinion by the end of this book - he always went silent whenever Penryn showed any distress over the state of the world she once lived in, a world largely destroyed by angels.

I quickly moved on to reading Book #2, and I enjoyed it as well. I did notice some unflattering reviews of Books #2 and particularly #3. And I have since read them both - thankfully I enjoyed them all. I must say though, that of all the books, Book #1 was the most incredible - fast-paced, action-packed, horrifying, and all in all a real page-turner. Generally, any book that makes me feel compelled to keep reading it, is a winner.

Currently Reading: Sarah Maas's Throne of Glass





Last time I posted about my goals, I mentioned that I was working on preliminary edits for ON THE OUTSIDE. Since then, I have updated my blog mentioning that I cut out a large number of words from Chapter 1, a very troublesome chapter (same old story). Well, I haven't done much since then. I've been grappling with the other things in my life, and the editing as fallen away. However, I still have the burning desire to keep going with it.

My studies began this week, so I have to factor them in (which I'm not doing too well at so far). I'm also still busy with kitty rescue stuff, but am trying to pull back from that a little. It so happens it's the busiest time of year for Aussie cat rescues, with lots of kittens being born during the summer months, and lots of people going on holiday and dumping their cats at the pound as they were too disorganised to find / pay for holiday care well ahead of time. We are all eager for this year's "kitten season" to end, though many in rescue say that kitten season never really ends.

So with all that, the editing has fallen away again. But I hope to at least get a little bit of it done this weekend. I'm still pleased about cutting out 8 pages of Chapter 1, though, even if I do have to add some of it back in for the remains to make sense.

19 comments:

  1. I love reading trilogies and it shows a good read when you want to read all three. Angels that are jerks - sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife grew up Catholic. She has said this about angels: if you ever actually meet one, you're in big trouble.

    The books sound like fun. I agree that any book that hooks you into reading the rest of the series is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a series that compels me to read on, and jerky angels sound like a hoot! Best of luck surviving kittie season and getting back to your writing!
    V:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get back to your editing soon.
    Shame about the kittens. Just get your cats fixed, people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the hectic schedule sucking out the writing time. I'm in grad school right now and I work full time, but it probably helps that my school is writing centered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're pleased with your editing progress and still sticking to it! :)
    I think it would be heart-breaking to have to see so many kittens abandoned. I volunteered at a Cat Rescue for two years and it's tough to see so many animals abandoned just because their owners didn't realize that it would take time to care for them.
    Best wishes with your studies, too.

    Looking forward to seeing how you like The Throne of Glass - I had some issues with it, but I went on to read the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a bit 'meh' about it... This is my review on GR:
      https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/588059054

      Delete
  7. Oh, those troublesome 1st chapters! I'm knee deep in edits, and I thought I'd be cutting nearly all of both chapter 1 and chapter 2, but I was pleasantly surprised! They weren't half as bad as I thought!

    Good luck with the kittens!
    angelinetrevena.co.uk/five-year-project-the-big-red-pen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Trisha - good luck with the cat/kitten rescue helping and the studies - those two will keep you occupied; then your own book .. editing and more writing - one's brain keeps working on them .. but then the time runs away.

    Cheers and hope all slots into an easier place soon .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Trish! I've joined the Goals blogfest too. Thought it might help keep me honest to my writing. I've been away and haven't been able to achieve much, except expanding and editing a short story set in Paris. That's always exciting! Life is important to live, too, away from the writing/editing for a change,so go look after those kitties! I wish you well for March!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kitten season makes me want to :'(
    Best of luck getting the goals done this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to check out this book, it sounds interesting!

    My goal is getting my poetry book done by May!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have a hectic schedule at the moment, so it makes sense for editing to fall by the wayside. I hope things settle down for you again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, that tricky first chapter. Good luck with the edits, although it sounds at the moment as if you've got your hands full of kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It may be time consuming, but you're saving lives. That's an important thing. You'll get to those edits eventually.

    Good luck with the studies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review! Definitely a different take on angels:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm used to jerky angels from watching Supernatural ;) But it was still cool to see it in book form with these books.

      Delete
  16. Editing can be tough but needs to be done. Book one in a trilogy is often the best one. Just keep going try to see which things are top priority and what needs to be put on the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to seeing your next set of goals and cheering you on as you reach them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!