Tuesday 23 May 2017

My review of ALIEN: CONVENANT (** contains mild spoilers **)

** Contains Spoilers **

Alien: Covenant - A Review

Source: IMBb - Alien: Covenant
I went with a friend to see Alien: Covenant last night, and we were surprised to find it was more of a comedy than an actual scary movie. I don't think they intended it to be funny, but we laughed a lot. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the film - that will always happen for me when there are so many stupid characters who do dumb things and therefore end up dead.

The whole movie plotline wouldn't have even existed if not for one very idiotic decision early on that set the spaceship on an unplanned course. "Oh yeah, let's go check out this mysterious planet that is just PERFECT, but that we somehow never found before when we scanned everywhere for suitable planets." The captain was warned not to divert from the planned course, but he just took it under advisement and went ahead anyway and did a dumb-arse thing.

So, that set the tone for the entire movie - lots of stupid decisions, like "Oh I'm just gonna go do a pee, I won't be long." YEAH RIGHT. YOU WILL BE VERY LONG. YOU WON'T BE COMING BACK FROM THAT PEE.

Basically I was disappointed, particularly thinking about the original movies and how epic they were. And I'm sorry, but this new "bad-ass lady" character can't hold a candle to Ripley.

6 comments:

  1. I think it would be inevitable that one would compare it to the originals, especially as they're so iconic. Should've stopped at Alien 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha - it's not getting very good reviews ... Alex implied your thoughts too ... sorry about that - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! That major plot hole ruined the rest of the movie for me. Not to mention once they got to the planet, no one wore suits or masks. And the shower scene at the end? Lazy writing. I am giving up on this franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll wait to rent it. So many good movies right now, I have to be choosy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review made me laugh. Especially the line "You won't be coming back from that pee!"

    The first two were so awesome, I'm not sure why they keep trying to recapture lightning in a bottle. I'm just going to try and forget they did anything after Aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too was disappointed. I thought "Prometheus" was different enough from the first few films that it was a worthwhile view, and expected this to be a little more of a sequel to that film than it was.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!