Friday 23 February 2018

[FEB UPDATE] The Cephalopod Coffeehouse Book Club & GOALS




Wow, here it is! My first post for 2018. I've done a lot of reading so far this year, largely because while I was overseas I was sick practically the entire time, so on those days when I did a lot of lazing around I took to reading. And reading. And reading. Anyway, for February this is the book I enjoyed the most, keeping in mind that I didn't rate any of my reads 5 stars during January or February.

I've had this book on my Kindle for aaaages but only just read it now. Even though it was a light-hearted kind of simple little story, I really loved it - it had me cracking up on a regular basis, and the romance was pretty steamy even with two virgins as the main characters. ;)

Emma annoyed and (totally) exasperated me sometimes, but I couldn't hold it against her when she pretty quickly realised what an idiot she was after every idiotic thing she did. Guy had a lot of patience considering he's 70k years old and definitely knew better in some instances than the 22-year-old (yep, quite the age difference, and Emma comments on this at one point too!) with far less life experience.

I'd recommend this for anyone who wants a fun, light read that includes some parts that may or may not make one gigglesnort.

Some of my fave quotes:
  • It was like being trapped in a huge spinach salad.
  • This coming from someone who'd seen it all over the course of tens of thousands of years: the rise and fall of dozens of empires, entire civilisations disappearing, some into the ocean--countless genocides and wars, the birth of gangster rap and reality television.
    Yes. Terrible, awful things.

  • “Holy crap, woman! What was that?' Guy stared down at the twitching right half of the body. He was morbidly shocked and incredibly proud.

    She shrugged casually. 'Payback. Hell hath no fury like a Payal scorned. Can we go now?”
  • "You're an awesome god of death and war."

This is the GoodReads blurb:
"Twenty-two-year-old Emma Keane has a secret friend. He’s powerful, mysterious, and devastatingly handsome. In her dreams, anyway.

In real life, he’s an enigma. Maybe just a teensie jealous. Definitely overbearing. He’s also a voice only she can hear.

So who or what is he? He won’t say. But if she wants to be free, to be normal, Emma will have to trek to the jungles once ruled by the Mayans and find the forgotten ruin holding the answers.
However, the ruthless deity she’s about to unknowingly unleash on the modern world, might not be so easily extracted from her life. Bottom line, he’s got enemies, and now, so does she."

Currently (re-)Reading:







Each month, a group of bloggers report on what goals they have been working to achieve in the last month. A while ago now we set longish-term goals (and they were meant to be big goals, so we could feel bold and daring!) and each month we're tracking our progress towards achieving those goals. Check out the Do You Have Goals? blog for a list of participants, and feel free to join our hop if you want to have some extra motivation for achieving your goals. :)

This month's updates on my own creative goals:

  • EDITS/WRITING - I keep getting assaulted by new story ideas! They are more enticing than trying to untangle the messes that are the existing stories. But I have my little critique group to keep encouraging me to do the "hard" stuff as well as nurture my shiny new ideas. Currently I'm trying to figure out how my novel SUNDOWN fits into a template of accepted romance story 'beats', to help me identify what needs working on.
  • NaNoWriMo '18- I know, I know, it's REALLY early to be thinking about this, but with the numerous ideas that have sprung themselves on me in recent months, I will have a big decision to make come November. Still, I'm pretty sure I know which idea I'll be running with ... at least until the next "better" idea leaps at me, anyway.
  • Music - My task at the moment is to have a good listen to the final mixes my bandmate has sent me and send him back any notes. From what I've heard so far, there's one song I'm not sure I'm happy with in terms of the vocals, but I hope I'll get over that and realise it's great as is, so I don't have to do anymore recording. :P I'm hoping to have my notes back to my bandmate by this coming weekend.
And that's about it for now. How are you doing with your goals/projects/etc?

11 comments:

  1. I hope you don't have to redo the vocals on that one song.
    Get through the tough stuff and then you can run with a new idea for NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is rather an age gap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those pesky, beautiful ideas! Distracting little butterflies floating around in our heads, each unique and amazing in their own way.

    I don't think it's ever too early to be thinking about NANOWRIMO. Sometimes the promise of being able to work on that new shiny idea can spur you forward in your current project so it's a great strategy!

    I hope you'll realize you're being too hard on yourself too wit your song. Re-recording everything sounds like a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a terror for getting distracted by shiny new ideas! This year has been an insane one for all those pesky ideas. Every time I think I've got my planned publishing schedule worked out, another idea pops up, and I have to shift it all about again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your feature this month does sound like a fun book.
    Seems like you're doing pretty good with your goals. Good job.
    I'm surpassing my reading goals at the moment and aren't too far behind in my writing goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got some reading done! That sounds like a bizarre and twisted version of my own book. Ha ha.

    Never to early to think about NaNo!

    Good luck with the music and the bandmate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a different sort of romance, for sure! And does sound amusingly written :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I work on romances, I prefer to look at my story not in terms of beats, but in terms of the same goal/conflict/stakes framework I use for all genre novels I write. I guess it just fits in with my approach to writing better.

    Please do let me know if you need another pair of eyes on your story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stinks to be sick while traveling. At least you got some good reading in...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't sound like my kind of spinach salad. At least, not at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some great quotes. Still chuckling over the reality TV.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your words, me hearties! and don't forget to leave a link to your blog somewhere I can find it!